Changes to make MySQL vs. MariaDB less confusing

Andrew Rist andrew.rist at oracle.com
Thu Aug 22 23:36:25 UTC 2013

On 8/21/2013 5:01 PM, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Ken Dreyer <ktdreyer at ktdreyer.com> said:
>> I fear a similar fate is going to befall mysql-workbench before too
>> long, since it's been orphaned for a while. Are the Oracle employees
>> still around?
> I looked a while back, and it is marked "deprecated" in the Fedora
> package database.  I'm not sure why it wasn't just orphaned, since AFAIK
> it still works, still maintained, and there's no direct replacement.

There are several of us still around.  Bjorn has been working on the
packages and chimed in earlier.
We'd really like to get 5.6 into Fedora as it's been GA for 6 months
now.  Also, we just released workbench 6.0 and we would love to get that
and our latest connectors in as well.
For that, it would be made much easier with a different namespace for
mysql and each of the forks (esp. the client libraries)
I know a lot of the current communications about the packages is going
on in the background, but when issues come up, either bring it up here
or contact us directly.  We are seriously interested in helping out
where we can.

Andrew