F20 release name election?

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 14:04:54 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 8:04 AM, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think it's been hatred (or passionate fighting, or else he would
> have tried to reach a decision at the FPB level), but indeed, he has been
> one of those who think the release name process is a waste of time and of
> no use.
>
>   https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/advisory-board/2012-March/011419.html

That was a very practical solution to what appeared to be another
layer of hassle around release names. In reality so far at least that
hassle hasn't materialized.

> How many people are involved in suggesting release names, reviewing them,
> checking them (Red Hat Legal)? How many people enjoy doing all that?
> There aren't many voters.

Part of the deal with participating in a community is that sometimes
you do things you would not choose to do to enable others to do what
they do choose to do.

Red Hat legal can kill release names at any time by simply saying they
no longer are willing to vet the names. The Fedora Board can do the
same. Neither has so why do we have to keep going over this?

The Board spends maybe 3-4 hours on this twice a year. If that is too
much to enable part of the community to enjoy participating in the
tradition of release naming then propose the Board simply stop doing
it.

> It has come up many years ago already, too, that hardly anybody refers to
> a Fedora distribution release using its codename instead of the release
> numbers and/or shortnames: Fedora 19, F19, F-19, f19. It doesn't get more
> accurate. No point releases as with Red Hat Linux.

And there really isn't anything accomplished by bringing up the same
old arguments again now except to spoil the fun those who enjoy this
might have. At least I can't see any reason.

John