Bundled Flash

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Aug 23 23:46:36 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-08-23 at 16:40 -0700, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 2:28 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> > And, T.C., we probably need the Web Assets policy to set some
> > rules/guidelines on how best to achieve unbundling: should we always try
> > to patch the upstream to find the 'official' location of the shared
> > resource on Fedora? Should we always do it with symlinks or aliases
> > where possible? Should we allow either approach depending on
> > circumstances?
> >
> > I'd like to unbundle tinymce from roundcubemail and moodle, but it's
> > probably best to decide 'best practice' first then do it in line with
> > that.
>
> Definitely "either approach depending on circumstances".  I specifically didn't
> define a "best practice" because I didn't think there was going to be one.
>
> In some cases there might be a global config file that lets you point the path
> to the Fedora-y location, so it's easier to patch that one file than to mess
> around with the directory->symlink madness.  In other cases it's hardcoded in
> nine million places all over the codebase, so the symlink approach starts to
> look much nicer.  :-)
>
> That's also the reason why a global httpd path is coming (unfortunately not till
> Fedora 21 now), because in some instances a server path is easier to config than
> a filesystem path.
>
> Basically, do whatever makes you least likely to pull all your hair out in the
> process.  :-)
>
> Sooner or later there's going to be a "best practices"  (emphasis on the plural)
> document that describes all these techniques nicely, but I wasn't expecting
> people to jump into unbundling with both feet quite so quickly.  ;-)

Well, it seemed a natural progression on seeing that the tinymce flash
stuff is in like 4-5 different packages. It's kind of ridiculous copying
the patch around five different package trees. And half of them are
using older tinymce builds and could benefit from having 3.5.8. But if
I'm going to do it, I'd rather get the replace-dir-with-symlink stuff
'right' (for whatever value we decide is 'right') first time.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey