F20 release name election?

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 24 15:58:27 UTC 2013

On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 5:48 PM, Mathieu Bridon
<bochecha at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Saturday, August 24, 2013 11:38 PM, drago01 wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 5:29 PM, Mathieu Bridon
>> <bochecha at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

>>> That's in fact what I did.
>>>
>>> That begs the question: what if the elected word has received a very low
>>> score compared to the maximum possible?
>>>
>>> That would mean that it received a very small support from our community,
>>> and in fact that the majority was either voting for no name or for none
>>> of
>>> the proposed names.
>>>
>>> If that happened, would we decide that Fedora would not be named, because
>>> no
>>> proposal managed to raise enough support?
>>

>> That's nonsense. A non vote may have different reasons you cannot
>> simply put them into one category. The most common reason for non
>> voting is lack of carrying. So the best way to deal with non votes is
>> to ignore them (like pretty much any reasonable election process
>> does).
>

> I didn't say non-vote from people who don't care, I said people who do care
> and actively vote for none of the proposals. That's very different.

OK, if there is an active none option and that option wins sure.

> And no matter the reason why that would happen, the fact is that if the
> maximum possible for a name is 8000 (8 names, 1000 voters) and the best name
> is elected with e.g 100 points, then that means that even the most voted for
> failed to receive the support of the voters, and that as a result it doesn't
> represent them.
>
> If that happened, would we still go with a name that doesn't represent even
> the people who made the effort of voting?

The election process says "the one with the highest source win" which
makes sense. If we have a "none" option that can be selected and also
automatically wins when the source of the wining name is "to low" then
this would be a skewed process.

So picking the winning name would be the better choice yes.