Graphics driver support in F21+

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Aug 27 15:00:15 UTC 2013

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 10:46:19AM -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> For F21, I plan to orphan the following X video drivers:
>
> xorg-x11-drv-apm
> xorg-x11-drv-cirrus
> xorg-x11-drv-geode
> xorg-x11-drv-glint
> xorg-x11-drv-i128
> xorg-x11-drv-i740
> xorg-x11-drv-mach64
> xorg-x11-drv-mga
> xorg-x11-drv-neomagic
> xorg-x11-drv-r128
> xorg-x11-drv-rendition
> xorg-x11-drv-s3virge
> xorg-x11-drv-savage
> xorg-x11-drv-siliconmotion
> xorg-x11-drv-sis
> xorg-x11-drv-tdfx
> xorg-x11-drv-trident
>
> Effectively this means that the graphics team will be focusing on KMS
> for graphics support, with vesa and fbdev available as last-ditch
> fallbacks.  If anyone is interested in taking on support for these
> chips, they're welcome to, though we would encourage anyone doing so to
> work towards KMS support and not merely do "keep it building"
> maintenance.

Presumably for virtualization environments, the implication is that
people should aim to use SPICE + QXL for graphics, and if they really,
really, really want to stick with the crappy Cirrus + VNC combo, they
will just have to use the vesa Xorg driver.

GNOME Boxes is already doing SPICE + QXL by default for all modern
Fedora. We'll need to make sure virt-manager/virt-install are doing
the same by default for Fedora, and then we'll be fine wrt virt IMHO.

Regards,
Daniel