[RFC] Easiest making kernel rpms from upstream git

Igor Gnatenko i.gnatenko.brain at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 13:53:58 UTC 2013

Today I've wrote article w/ many notes about bisecting kernel [0], but
I've used make bzImage, make install and the same commands bypassing RPM
and I have IMHO good idea to write utility, that will be build rpm w/o/
Fedora patches, changelogs, etc. simple rpms w/ one command.

We will use "utilityname `git rev-parse HEAD` f19" instead of "make
bzImage && make modules" and "yum install ./rpms/*.rpm" instead of "make
install && make modules_install".

This software should increase the effectiveness, simplify the build test
kernels, simplify to work w/ installed kernels (e.g. remove). Also we
can easy provide rpms to bugreport for testing regressions, etc.

I see alike software at bubuntu wiki [1].

Would anyone besides me find this useful enough for me to keep working
on it?

[0]https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Ignatenkobrain/Kernel/Bisection
[1]https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/KernelBisection#Build_Upstream_Test_Kernel

--