Graphics driver support in F21+

Basil Mohamed Gohar basilgohar at librevideo.org
Wed Aug 28 14:13:09 UTC 2013

On 08/27/2013 11:20 AM, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-08-27 at 14:54 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>
>> Is it not better to drop entirely graphics drivers that do not have kms
>> support and at the *same time* adopt the policy
>>
>> "From this point forward only graphics driver that have kms support will
>> be allow to be packaged and shipped in the distribution"
>
> I don't know why that would be "better".  There's no intrinsic reason
> why we should forbid UMS drivers if there's a maintainer, it doesn't
> necessarily make my life harder to allow that.  And, given that the list
> _does_ include hardware that people have filed bugs about in recent
> memory, I figure I should allow those interested in to step forward.
>
> - ajax

Sorry to come out of left field like this, but would the system profile
info we collect on install be useful in determining the weight of the
need for some of these drivers?  For example, if there is still a bunch
of SIS video adapters out there, we might prioritize support for that
driver, but then not for others that don't show-up in our hardware surveys.

Perhaps this step has already been taken.

--
Libre Video
http://librevideo.org