[RFC] Easiest making kernel rpms from upstream git

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Wed Aug 28 18:31:52 UTC 2013

On 08/28/2013 07:23 PM, Igor Gnatenko wrote:
> Today I've wrote article w/ many notes about bisecting kernel [0], but
> I've used make bzImage, make install and the same commands bypassing RPM
> and I have IMHO good idea to write utility, that will be build rpm w/o/
> Fedora patches, changelogs, etc. simple rpms w/ one command.
>
> We will use "utilityname `git rev-parse HEAD` f19" instead of "make
> bzImage && make modules" and "yum install ./rpms/*.rpm" instead of "make
> install && make modules_install".
>
> This software should increase the effectiveness, simplify the build test
> kernels, simplify to work w/ installed kernels (e.g. remove). Also we
> can easy provide rpms to bugreport for testing regressions, etc.

Incidentally, just today, I was building upstream kernels manually (for testing some KVM
specific things). I don't build Kernels often. After some trial and error, I ended up with
this sequence:

  $ make -j6 && make bzImage && make modules
  $ make modules_install && make install

Couple of times Dracut failed to generate correct initramfs, resulting in froze. With a
hint from Haralad Hoyer on IRC, I generated the initramfs manually (usually, using the
host initrd should be sufficient):

  $ dracut /boot/initramfs-3.11.0-rc1+.img 3.11.0-rc1+
  $ depmod -a

> I see alike software at bubuntu wiki [1].
>
> Would anyone besides me find this useful enough for me to keep working
> on it?

Sure, I can certainly be a user here :-) . Note to self: Still have to debug/bisect an
offending Kernel commit which is causing some KVM unit test failures.

--
/kashyap