Comps Cleanup

Kalev Lember kalevlember at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 20:06:29 UTC 2013

On 08/27/2013 07:52 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Kalev Lember (kalevlember at gmail.com) said:
>> I'd like to be able to commit to master, check out the f20 branch, and
>> 'git cherry-pick master'.
>
> Is that really that much difference than git diff | sed | patch?

I believe it is, yes. Relying on diff / sed / patch for porting changes
from one branch to another is somewhat fragile, compared to all the nice
tools Git has handling branches.

With multiple comps-fXX.xml.in files in one repository, Git has no idea
that these are really different branches of one comps.xml.in file.

And it's not only cherry-pick that breaks with the current model, that
was just an example. For instance, git blame doesn't work either. Try
doing 'git blame comps-f21.xml.in' -- all the previous history is lost.

Besides, we are using Git branches for packages and spin kickstarts, but
handling it completely differently in comps. Would be nice to do it
consistently everywhere.

--
Kalev

P.S. This is about https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/comps.git/ in case
someone reading it is looking for the repo.