[RFC] Easiest making kernel rpms from upstream git

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 22:55:23 UTC 2013

On 28 August 2013 14:53, Igor Gnatenko <i.gnatenko.brain at gmail.com> wrote:
> Today I've wrote article w/ many notes about bisecting kernel [0], but
> I've used make bzImage, make install and the same commands bypassing RPM
> and I have IMHO good idea to write utility, that will be build rpm w/o/
> Fedora patches, changelogs, etc. simple rpms w/ one command.
>
> We will use "utilityname `git rev-parse HEAD` f19" instead of "make
> bzImage && make modules" and "yum install ./rpms/*.rpm" instead of "make
> install && make modules_install".
>
> This software should increase the effectiveness, simplify the build test
> kernels, simplify to work w/ installed kernels (e.g. remove). Also we
> can easy provide rpms to bugreport for testing regressions, etc.
>
> I see alike software at bubuntu wiki [1].
>
> Would anyone besides me find this useful enough for me to keep working
> on it?
>
> [0]https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Ignatenkobrain/Kernel/Bisection
> [1]https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/KernelBisection#Build_Upstream_Test_Kernel

To be honest I did this recently on F19 and found that the build
process (after git checkout, copy config) went like:
As normal user:
make oldconfig
make -j4
(well, j3 was better for me, but this is from the example
http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel_git-bisect)

As root:
make modules_install
make install
(most guides don't mention you only need root for the install steps)

And this did the dracut for me fine, the kernel also showed up in the grub menu.
What would be nicer to see is dealing with cleaning up the previous
build kernel which seems to get left out. So far as I can see this
requires:
remove from boot the matching initramfs, System.map and vmlinuz
run grub2-mkconfig -o ... (removes old entry)
remove the corresponding /lib/modules/3...

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk