[ACTION REQUIRED] Packages depending on retired packages

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 09:09:12 UTC 2013

On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 09:57:18 +0200, 80 wrote:

> By mere curiosity, why didn't we follow the usual renaming process (and
> avoid losing the previous history in git) ?
> It was just an upstream rename due to a trademark issue.

The rename process may have been followed, but the renamed packages have
not been reviewed painstakingly. At least 15 subpackages had not been
replaced ( https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1001603 ).

And retiring packages is too difficult in Fedora. The process is
complex or not known by all packagers:

  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_remove_a_package_at_end_of_life

Some retire only in pkgdb (some create orphans instead, which somebody else
picks up without checking history), others only create the dead.package
file. Renaming is particularly more complicated, if another packager needs
to take action and retire something properly prior to another (mass-)rebuild.

I've opened tickets about the "undeads" below, but I'm not sure there
will be a response to all of them. Basically, all of them should be
blocked in koji for F20 and newer *and* retired in pkgdb, and the
undeads are not marked dead in git yet.

Dead and all builds obsoleted:
------------------------------
classads