Multiple Loopback Interfaces

Neil Horman nhorman at redhat.com
Thu Aug 29 13:53:04 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 06:34:57AM -0700, John Chludzinski wrote:
> I need to used multiple loopback addresses (interfaces) for an server
> application that communicates with multiple clients running on the same
> machine.  Since a loopback interface short circuits the network stack
> (looping back in the IP layer) it is a more efficient means of
> communication, hence better for my purpose.

It doesn't short circuit the network stack, thats why we have the loopback
driver in the first place.

> How do I define multiple loopback interfaces?

you can use the ip utility to create dummy network devices on top of your
loopback device, but the better question is - why?  Having multiple clients and
servers on a single system doesn't in any way require multiple loopback
interfaces.  just have the servers and clients all listen on, and connect to
127.0.0.1, and assign each server a separate port number.

Neil