Mouse focus stealing bug

Maros Zatko mzatko at redhat.com
Fri Aug 30 11:19:54 UTC 2013

Hello dear Fedora comunity,

I've hit very weird bug which happen to get very urgent now.
Something (very likely GTK{2,3} but not sure at all) is stealing my
mouse focus
so that I cannot click anymore. Symptoms are in range from being able to
click
once or several times AFTER switching desktop (tag), to being able to
click only
with left button (with right being totally unresponsive) to not being
able to click
at all anymore until I kill Xorg.

Killing Xorg was *the fix* -- for you to understand, after reboot I
*had* to kill Xorg
session three times, with spawning some GTK app in between runs so that
I hit
the issue and Xorg restart had the right effect.
What happens now is that Xorg restart are NOT helping any more, i.e.
after that
it "works" for about 5 minutes and then it get progressively more and more
wrong until I cannot click any more.

My nowadays combo is Xmonad with nm-applet and some other basics plus
firefox, xchat, pidgin and some gnome-terminals (and couple of other random
stuff). To hit the issue is enough to spawn xchat and firefox in a clean
session.

I've been hitting the very same issue before when I was using Awesome WM,
but I thought it was its issue so I've picked xmonad but after some time
the same
issues returned.

So, dear Fedora community, I beg you for help. I have no idea how can I
fix this,
nor how can I debug it. Any help would be really welcome.

Thank you,
Maros