COPR

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Aug 30 15:59:08 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 11:52:05AM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-08-30 at 09:01 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> > On Fri, 2013-08-30 at 11:39 +0200, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> >
> > > http://miroslav.suchy.cz/blog/archives/2013/08/30/copr_implemented_using_obs/index.html
> > >
> > > I would like to ask *you* what is your opinion?
> >
> > I think it's absolutely essential that were COPRS to be an OBS instance,
> > it still used mock to build.  Anything else is just going to create too
> > much divergence in the details of the build process.
>
> Also, wow, I just followed and read the link:
> http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-buildservice/2013-07/msg00044.html
>
> I know this is old code and stuff, but writing the data to the swap
> partition sounds very Rube Goldberg.  Now that virtio-serial exists,
> it's easy to set up arbitrary private guest-host communication channels
> without involving networking/TCP.
>
> Were OBS to use mock in a VM I'd expect it to basically do:
>
> tar cf /dev/virtio-ports/org.fedoraproject.mock /var/lib/mock/result
>
> and then the host could read that tar file.

Or you could just map a directory on the host into /var/lib/mock/result
in the guest, using the virtio-9p filesystem feature of KVM. Basically
this gives you shared filesystem, but without any TCP/networking involved.

NB, works with KVM in Fedora hosts, but not RHEL which does not ship 9p
support

Regards,
Daniel