FTBFS if "-Werror=format-security" flag is used

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Fri Dec 6 19:22:01 UTC 2013

mrnuke (mr.nuke.me at gmail.com) said:
> > Because packagers will just ignore it [...]
> >
> I think this is a childish argument, but let's take it. So what? You're
> going to start stepping on people's lawns and change things just because
> you want to impose your greater good?

Wow, nice mixed metaphor. Package maintenance is not a person's private
domain; it's where we're signing up to maintain things as part of a
community *as a service to the users that use what we produce*. Now, people
do have different views on how some of these things may be handled, but the
goals of Fedora have never been to focus primarily on the convenience of the
packager - that's rather shortsighted.

The point is to ensure that the software we provide to *users* doesn't
contain security holes due to accident, intransigence, or other reasons.

Bill