FTBFS if "-Werror=format-security" flag is used

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Dec 8 00:17:14 UTC 2013

Michael scherer wrote:
> That's already part of the life of packagers. For example, suddenly, gcc
> decide to be stricter and suddenly, some VCS written in C++ decide to not
> compile anymore, so you have to spend 1 full day just to make it compile.
> ( of course, totally fictious example that didn't happen to me several
> years ago ).

That's bad enough and I already complain about that (IMHO backwards
compatibility should go over strict standards compliance), but…

> There is enough software not building anymore and dropped after mass
> rebuild to show that such problem are not really so uncommon.

… the difference is that in this case, the offending code is actually
perfectly compliant to the C or C++ standard, and rejecting it is a
violation of the relevant standard (in addition to being backwards-
incompatible).

        Kevin Kofler