idea for installation - web

חץ בן חמו hetz at benhamo.org
Sat Dec 14 21:22:14 UTC 2013

Hi,

As a long time Fedora user, I find my self installing Fedora on many
systems, and I thought about an idea about the whole installation process.

IMHO, at the moment, the current installation process is quite ..
confusing. text mode installation has gone, and so VNC method (last I
checked), and we have a graphical installation which has it's own issues
like weird places for buttons, and weirder setup for the disk. Again, it's
only my opinion.

So I thought about it for a long time and I would like to purpose a
different installation method - a web installer.

Think about it - currently Anaconda knows how to detect most of the network
cards (which is what we need to setup IP/Subnet/Gateway/DNS), and everyone
has either a laptop or a tablet or a smartphone. All the other parts that
needs to be added to the installation are small web server (nginx?), and
the HTML/JS and graphics files. All of it won't be bigger then few dozens
of MB to the DVD ISO.

So the web installation will do something simple:

* Upon booting the DVD ISO and selecting web installation, it will detect
the network card and show them so the user could select which network card
to use
* The user will select the card and enter the IP/Subnet Mask/Default
Gateway and the DNS
* The installer will show the user a URL that he can connect to in order to
continue the installation
* The user will connect to this IP using his laptop/tablet/smart phone
through it's web browser.
* The user will select and do all the installation.

Advantages:

* No more graphics issues if you're in a place where you don't have a mouse
or you got some really crappy CRT on a hosting company wanting to install a
new OS.
* There are basically tons of people who would be happy to contribute
either HTML/JS code or graphics for the installer, which could give a
really good look to the installer
* Easier way to install Fedora using your browser
* You don't need to sit in a freezing colo place just to install your OS :-)

What do you think about this idea?

Thanks,
Hetz