really stop "really" commits (really!)

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 23:26:10 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 3:41 AM, Lukas Zapletal <lzap at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 03:10:08AM -0700, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
>> > I do commit locally
>> > although I probably don't want push the snapshot sources, because I update
>> > them later, when time comes.
>
> +1

The more I think about this argument the more this whole thing bugs me.

Pretty much every open source project in the world has as a hard and
fast rule that you shouldn't commit stuff that doesn't even compile to
master or stable branches.  I don't see how Fedora dist-git should be
any different.

If you commit a spec file to dist-git that does not contain a
corresponding source in the lookaside cache, there's no way any other
soul in the world can build it.  Yeah, you can try and regenerate the
source file yourself, but that's a pain.  There are very good reasons
why we have a lookaside cache and koji does not just use `spectool`...

If it's worth pushing the commit where everyone can see it in the git
history, somebody else besides you should be able to build the package
at that point.  Which means that the corresponding source tarball for
_every_ commit belongs in the lookaside cache, regardless of whether
or not you intend to actually push that build to a Fedora release.

So the more I think about it, the more I think Vit's accidental
suggestion that this be instead implemented as a git pre-recieve hook,
which is enforced on the pkgs.fp.o server side and is *not* optional,
is a good idea.  We should not allow commits to Fedora dist-git that
very obviously will never successfully build in koji.

-T.C.