PSA: If you are C/C++ developer, use cppcheck

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 16:02:44 UTC 2013

Hi

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 4:39 AM, Maciek Borzecki wrote:

> Have you been able to compare cppcheck with clang's static-analyzer?
> Both issues that you managed to identify should have been found by
> clang as well.

clang and cppcheck has some overlap but sometimes finds issues that the
other doesn't.  Ideally you want to run them both before each release. You
could even do a GCC build with more warnings enabled to go the extra
mile.   The latest version of GCC with -Wall -Wextra -std=c99 seems pretty
similar to Clang.

http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/ClangDiagnosticsComparison

I also checked out splint but it returns too many false positives to be
really useful. The only thing I haven't personally looked at is Coverity.

Rahul