Should redhat-release be versioned or unversioned?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Dec 18 20:56:01 UTC 2013

While looking at bug 1044675 I noticed that redhat-release is unversioned
in fedora-release and versioned in generic-release. I would expect it
to be the same in both of these packages. I think it probably makes the
most sense to version it for anything that is still using that, but wanted
to check if other people had good reasons for doing it one way or the
other.

P.S. To resolve the actual problem, I am going to change a reference
from redhat-release to system-release, which probably should have
happened a while ago.