F-19 icon scrambling puzzle

Jerry James loganjerry at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 15:52:55 UTC 2013

This morning I ran "yum upgrade", as customary.  Three packages
updated: asymptote, python-rhsm, and yum.  Now my GNOME icons are
scrambled.  Of the 3 packages, only 1 has a desktop file: asymptote.
It does not use these scriptlets:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:ScriptletSnippets#Icon_Cache

but then again, it shouldn't have to, since that page specifically
says that the scriptlets are for packages that put icons under
%{_datadir}/icons somewhere.  Asymptote does not: it puts an icon into
%{_datadir}/pixmaps.

I tried doing the touch and gtk-update-icon-cache invocations manually
on %{_datadir}/pixmaps to see if that would help.  It does not;
gtk-update-icon-cache complains:

gtk-update-icon-cache: No theme index file.

and the icons are still scrambled.  So I tried the same on
%{_datadir}/icons/hicolor, just in case.  Now my icons are unscrambled
... but all the text under the icons is scrambled.  I found all of the
icon caches under %{_datadir}/icons and refreshed them all.  The icon
text is still scrambled.

What's going on here?  Is the asymptote package doing something wrong?
 How do I unscramble the icon text (besides logging out and logging
back in; I've got a lot of remote terminal sessions open)?
--
Jerry James
http://www.jamezone.org/