Unannounced ABI change without soname bump in libevdev-0.6 in Rawhide (and F19 and F20...) breaks GNOME, probably other consumers

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 03:43:07 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 8:51 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com>wrote:

> Time for another PSA...
>
> It appears libevdev 0.6 breaks the library's ABI without bumping the
> soname (and without an announcement here or anywhere else I can find,
> but an ABI change without an soname bump is just flat out wrong whether
> announced or not). 0.6 was sent to Rawhide, F19 and F20 simultaneously.

I've been maintaining abi-compliance-checker in Fedora for some time now.
Is there a good way to integrate it into the build system so that it would
run a diff with the previously released package to check for breakages? It
could be treated as informative, not necessarily a failure. It produces a
fairly easy to read html report.

I already use it manually to check for abi breakages in packages where
upstream doesn't maintain good API/ABI versioning.

I maintain pkgdiff as well and it's pretty cool but only checks diffs
between packages and can do it just using the debuginfo package of the two
releases.

Richard