Unannounced soname bump: tracker

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sat Dec 28 16:54:37 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-12-28 at 12:21 +0000, Debarshi Ray wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 05:50:18PM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > Sigh. Yes, another of these.
> >
> > On 2013-12-18, tracker was bumped to 0.7.0:
> >
> > http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=485698
> >
> > the sonames of libtracker-extract, libtracker-miner and
> > libtracker-sparql were bumped to 0.18.so.0 (from 0.16.so.0) without
> > announcement, and without all dependent packages being successfully
> > rebuilt. At least the following still depend on the old sparql library:
>
> The thing with Tracker is that they bump the bump the soname and their
> pkgconfig file version somewhat gratuitously every six months.

That sucks, sure. I suggest you get 'em to stop doing that. But as long
as they're doing it...if you bump tracker in Fedora you get to take the
bullet.

> I built a new tracker because some applications (eg., gnome-photos)
> specifically want the features in the 0.17/0.18 series.
>
> I thought I had rebuilt all the affected packages, but obviously I
> missed some.
>
> > bijiben-0:3.11.1-1.fc21.x86_64
> > brasero-0:3.11.3-1.fc21.x86_64
>
> I thought the round of builds for 3.11.3 would take care of these two, but
> it looks like bijiben was not built by mclazy and brasero got built before
> the new tracker hit the trees. :-/
>
> > grilo-plugins-0:0.2.9-2.fc21.x86_64
> > media-explorer-0:0.4.4-5.fc21.x86_64
>
> These two need new upstream releases, but the patches are already in
> Git.

Then fix 'em. You can't really just leave Rawhide broken for a week.
Well, obviously you *can*, but you really shouldn't.

I did it for you, it took me a couple of hours. If the monkey can do it
in two hours...

> > What does it take for people to handle soname bumps properly?
>
> Barring media-explorer, everything else is part of the GNOME stack so
> chances of other spins being broken by this was low.

GNOME is quite an important spin, however. This being broken means
everyone running GNOME on Rawhide gets incomplete updates, and we don't
get nightly GNOME lives. We have been trying to keep Rawhide from
getting broken like this too often for the last few years...

Plus it wasn't just happening on its own; the state of Rawhide when
everyone else bogged off for Christmas was that it was suffering from
this, the borkage in libevdev, the gnome-bluetooth soname bump / library
drop (which affects other desktops), the lack of a
gsettings-desktop-schemas build *and* two SELinux bugs, and that's just
what I noticed because it directly affects me. Cue comedy scenes of the
monkey trying to keep the damn show on the road.

> My assumption was that sooner or later this would be sorted by the
> GNOME builds during the 3.11.x cycle. Given that the Fedora and GNOME
> schedules are quite a bit out of sync these days, I was hoping for
> some transient rawhide breakage during the Christmas break to go
> largely unnoticed.

No, that's not going to happen. People do run Rawhide and we want them
to. It's really not acceptable to break Rawhide, know you're breaking
it, and just go 'meh'. It's going to break sometimes, I recognize that,
but that doesn't mean you can just go around whacking it with hammers
with wilful abandon. There is a duty to at least do the *best you can*
not to break it.

>  I mean if this is the only thing broken in Rawhide
> at the moment, then I would be more than happy. :)

Well, I'm not.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey