polkit changes in f19

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Fri Feb 1 03:01:51 UTC 2013

Peter Robinson (pbrobinson at gmail.com) said:
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 6:57 PM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:
> > I just realized that there is a change to the way polkit is packaged in f19 that spin maintainers should be aware of: the polkit package is just the service, which only provides the default policy as specified in the action definitions now. If you want or need support for js rules, you need to pull in the polkit-js-engine package. I've just made this change for the desktop spin.
>
> It would probably have been useful if you'd emailed the spins list
> about there changes.

Probably got lost b/c the change was made in F-19 in November. Oops.

> Also is there any documentation as to why we'd need the
> polkit-js-engine what functionality it provides, and more importantly
> what we'd lose by not including it?

That's what's used to process rules files (replacing .pkla files).
See the rules sections of
http://www.freedesktop.org/software/polkit/docs/latest/polkit.8.html
for details. If you don't include it, you can't add/modify your own
rules.

Bill