Proposed F19 Feature: systemd features

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 23:14:09 UTC 2013

On 1 February 2013 15:57, Miloslav Trmač <mitr at volny.cz> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 10:36 PM, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
>> In any case, to look at 'we have this functionality... now what':
>
> For the sake of completeness, the default is 0) Avoid all the
> arguments and work, and continue using existing files.
>
> Is there actually a noticeable benefit in migrating?  We will help
> Linux win neither on the desktop nor in the cloud by tinkering with
> something admins are not supposed to touch :)
>
> So far I can see:
> A. Disk space usage in minimal systems has been mentioned: but cronie
> is 200 kB, that's almost a waste of breath.
> B. Cron's facility to submit jobs by unprivileged users to a daemon
> running as root is a possible privilege escalation path; removing it
> from the minimal (or even default) installation would remove a
> possible risk (as long as we don't introduce an equivalent one as a
> replacement.)
> C. If we remove cron, is there anything left that needs the local MTA?
>  Removing the local MTA would be similar to removing cron, only more
> so.

I expect that in that case, systemd would expand until it became an
MTA .. whether or not the main developers wanted it to :).

Every program attempts to expand until it can send mail. Those
programs which cannot so expand are replaced by ones which can.

[misquoted from Zawinski]

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
"Don't derail a useful feature for the 99% because you're not in it."