Proposed F19 Feature: Virtio RNG

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 23:46:16 UTC 2013

On 1 February 2013 16:40, Matthew Garrett <mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 01, 2013 at 04:39:17PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:

>> Given FIPS paranoia about RNG sources, does this have knock-on effects in
>> the FIPS compliance of guests depending on how it's fed in the host?
>
> I'm not convinced that you could currently claim with a straight face
> that guests meet any sort of FIPS standard for random numbers.

As far as I know they do not. Guests that require FIPS, PCI etc
require still some sort of guest -> hardware tool to get random
numbers to it. The ones I consulted on a while back had to have a usb
device passed through to get a "good enough" checkoff by the auditor.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
"Don't derail a useful feature for the 99% because you're not in it."