Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 13:16:58 UTC 2013

On Mon, 04 Feb 2013 08:34:03 +0100
Kevin Kofler wrote:

> I wrote:
>
> > Sandro Mani wrote:
> >> Can't we simply re-organize the fedoraproject website in such way
> >> that the download button points to something similar to the
> >> current "More options" page, maybe with a small description for
> >> each desktop like "easy to use" / "feature rich and
> >> customizable" / "based on the traditional desktop" / etc and
> >> possibly sorted by popularity, i.e. number of downloads?
> >
> > +1, I've been asking for that ever since the get-fedora redesign
> > and the introduction of that misguided direct link to the wrong ISO
> > (GNOME-only and 32-bit-only).
>
> PS: It's actually 64-bit-only now, but that doesn't solve the issue,
> it'll just be wrong for a different category of users. Whatever you
> pick, it's always wrong for somebody, which is why bypassing the
> choice of ISO doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Big +1. What will an unsuspecting user think when he downloads, burns
and tries Fedora on 32bit machine? That it's broken, because the
download link actually links to the 64bit iso (and yes, I just tried it
on a 32bit machine and it still links to the 64bit image) :-/ The best
thing to drive potential users away is to give them one-click download
that is broken...

Martin