Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 13:21:27 UTC 2013

On Mon, 04 Feb 2013 06:36:23 +0100
Kevin Kofler wrote:

> Eric Smith wrote:
>
> > On 01/28/2013 08:47 AM, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> >> I think switching the desktop that has been our default for over 10
> >> years and 18 releases requires just a bit more research and reason
> >> than that. ~m
> >
> > I don't disagree with the "more research and reason" part, but the
> > current default desktop has only been "our default" for four
> > releases, F15 through F18.  I don't recall any serious "research
> > and reason" having been involved in the switch that occurred when
> > F15 was being developed.  As far as I can tell, it was just thrust
> > upon us without much consideration as to whether it was good, bad,
> > or indifferent.  My proposal is at least only that, a proposal, and
> > is not being thrust upon anyone without discussion and ultimately a
> > vote.
>
> +1, what is the default now is a very different (and much less
> popular) beast from what had been the default for "over 10 years".

Totally agree, but I have to say -- unless you get rid of *default*
altogether -- that the default has to be supported rather well, and you
cannot force devs to start working on Cinnamon, XFCE, KDE, or whatever
based on a "popularity poll". If we have a default, it should have a
strong developer backing and, as much as I don't like it, for Fedora
that currently (sadly) means Gnome Shell.

Martin