Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Feb 5 09:54:47 UTC 2013

On 02/05/2013 07:40 AM, Michael Scherer wrote:
> Le mardi 05 février 2013 à 06:43 +0100, Ralf Corsepius a écrit :
>
>> I think you are putting too much emphasize on "first-timers" and seem to
>> be forgetting the "Linux distro switcher-users". For them, easily
>> finding the DE they know from their so-far used distro and easily
>> switching between alternative DEs would be an important feature.
>
> Last time I checked, people were fully able to switch DE after
> installation.
For advanced users it's possible to switch the DE - For beginners, I
feel it's close to impossible.

> Did this point change,

It did change insofar, as it has become increasingly difficult.

> or is it too hard to do for a
> regular linux user, cause maybe that would be the point to improve ?

Keep in mind that to get to the point of installing an "alternative-only
DE", in current Fedora, you normally first have a full blown Gnome3
installed, which is close to impossible to get rid of.

Ralf