Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Feb 5 18:49:05 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-02-05 at 17:17 +0000, Tom Hughes wrote:
> On 05/02/13 16:58, Przemek Klosowski wrote:
>
> > What's worse is that it's harder than it used to be to change the
> > desktop---desktop style is no longer a login-time selection. In fact, I
> > am not sure what is the recommended method nowadays--- groupinstall KDE
> > + groupremove Gnome? but this can't be right for XFCE which I think
> > shares stuff with Gnome..
>
> If you want to change what display manager is used then just change what
> /etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service points to.
>
> What desktop a display manager starts will be a display manager specific
> configuration option.

...but as Rahul said, they all allow you to log in to any desktop. There
seems to be a meme in this thread that GDM does not, but that's not
correct, it does. The choice is not visible unless you actually have
multiple desktops installed, but when you do, it gives you the option.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey