Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 00:23:25 UTC 2013

On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 20:45:30 +0100
Stijn Hoop wrote:
> But I will keep objecting to the single-sided argument that there is
> no "GNOME 2 user" that likes GNOME 3. I fully support those who have
> tried and rejected the new stuff -- as long as they don't impose their
> opinion on me :-)
I don't think anyone ever claimed such thing. What we (the Gnome 2
fans, but Gnome 3 "haters") are saying is basically this:
 * Gnome 3 is a radical change from Gnome 2, in many ways, and for many
   people this was an unacceptable direction. These were numerous
   enough to get Cinnamon, Mate and Unity up and working. Some of those
   (including me) expanded XFCE (or other classical desktops) user
   base. These combined are a real lot of people. These users aren't
   going to return.
 * Gnome devs didn't learn from KDE's mistake (the release of beta
   stuff as 4.0) and went even further. Users affected by only this
   might return (like Linus did).
 * Gnome 3's target audience does not enclose majority of Gnome 2's
   target audience, though it *does* have some intersection. Many of
   those are seeing this as arrogance.
 * Some trivial stuff is taking months to years to re-implement (shut
   down).
 * Gnome 3 is going the I-know-better-then-you-what's-good-for-you
   way. That's one of the reasons why many of us are using linux than
   windows -- because it traditionally *does not* do so. Randomly
   breaking things with messages like (oops, something went wrong,
   please try again) or things behaving unpredictably is *not* the
   linux way.
 * We think Gnome 3 is doing similar type of mistake as Windows 8.
 * We believe that due to the differences between Gnome 2 and Gnome 3,
   many users left Fedora during the switch.
 * We think that if we changed default desktop now, it would be less
   disruptive than when we switched from G2 to G3, because we wouldn't
   be switching to beta project, however I think that neither Cinnamon
   and Mate are good candidates. They're too recent both in the world
   and in Fedora repos. I'd rather have G3 as default than another
   semi-beta or monolithic-DE-maintained-by-two-or-three people stuff.
 * gnome devs are systematically removing features many former gnome
   users thought were useful, and sometimes adding them back again
   after a year or so of complains. We perceive that as devs doing
   whatever they wont and ignoring the real users in favour of some
   imaginary ones.
 * huge overuse of symbolic icons (this includes the new anaconda)
 * maybe I forgot something

Not every former gnome user agrees with these, but they're probably the
ones that are most prominent.

Martin