[soundtracker/f18] (2 commits) ...Correct desktop file install error

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 16:05:09 UTC 2013

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 10:25:47AM +0100, Brendan Jones wrote:
> On 02/11/2013 10:16 AM, Mamoru TASAKA wrote:
> >Brendan Jones wrote, at 02/11/2013 05:22 PM +9:00:
> >>Summary of changes:
> >>
> >>   faf3146... Remove vendor from desktop file (*)
> >>   330426b... Correct desktop file install error (*)
> >>
> >>(*) This commit already existed in another branch; no separate mail sent
> >
> >No, removing vendor prefix from desktop file must only on F-19,
> >not on stable release (on F-18, F-17). Please revert this,
> >thank you.
> >
> >Regards,
> >Mamoru
> >

> Why is that, it can't hurt can it? I didn't think the vendor was in
> use at all.

"Existing packages that use a vendor tag must continue to do so for the life
of the package. This is mostly for the sake of menu-editing (which bases off
of .desktop file/path names)."

(Other pieces of software may also make assumptions about the name of the
desktop files being important and stable... we just thought that this was
sufficient reason in and of itself).

The FPC has recently modified this guideline to allow for removing --vendor
in F19.  This will cause users to suffer from the above problems when
transitioning from F18 to F19 but only between F18 and F19.  If we committed
the same change to previous releases, then users could suffer from the
problems when they upgrade a package inside of a release or when
upgrading from an even earlier release in addition to the F18 to F19
breakage.

-Toshio