ConsoleKit and esound retirement

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 20:31:05 UTC 2013

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/writing-display-managers

>> > So to clarify, you're not actually retiring anything currently, just
>> > expressing to the community that you'd like to and that we should work
>> > toward making that possible?
>>
>> Well, I am just checking before I do something whether I can actually do
>> it. That's all. By next week or so I will either have retired the
>> packages (which I'd prefer) or somebody else took them over (which I'd
>> prefer not to do, but which we can do too, if the retro-computing folks
>> step up...)
>>
> I'd prefer that you orphan them, and mail the list, ccing <foo>-owner for
each dependency, that you're doing so.  That said, I maintain gnugb, and
was able to easily remove the esound requirement.  If no one else wants to
maintain esound, I will, even if only long enough to excise it from the
packages that need it.

In the case of esound I think we're better killing them because I suspect
in all cases the packages are either:
- optional packages better served by either native PA or alsa support in
other sub/related  packages
- disable the esd support and just use the native alsa/oss in the package

In all cases I strongly doubt the user will lose functionality and we
should just get on with it.