how reload udev rules and systemd on F18

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Wed Feb 13 18:40:06 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 6:29 PM, Sérgio Basto <sergio at serjux.com> wrote:

> Hi, OK but we don't have any command to trigger only /dev/vboxusb/* ?

You are not supposed to trigger changes for hardware on the running
system, *ever*. Package scripts are package scripts, not magic system
administration tools.

Special device nodes which are not interesting for anything else, and
it is absolutely guaranteed that there is no current user at this
moment, can be triggered that way, check: --sysname-match= in the udev
man page. Everything else is not ok to touch.

>> > the actual scriptlet:
>> > # Assign USB devices
>> > if /sbin/udevadm control --reload-rules >/dev/null 2>&1
>>
>> Redundant.
>
> what you mean by redundant ? if I not reboot system, do I need
> --reload-rules on F16+ ? (when install the package )
> and when the package is remove, how I clean it up ? (without reboot)

Udev finds that out on its own, has done that in the past and still does that.

>> > then
>> >    /sbin/udevadm trigger --subsystem-match=usb --action=add >/dev/null
>>
>> Not OK.
>
> I know, but if we don't have other solution I will keep it.

Please remove it. You are doing *packaging* not system
*administration*. All currently running hardware is taboo for package
scripts to even look at it.

Kay