Non-responsive Maintainer: mediawiki

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Feb 15 03:02:10 UTC 2013

On 08/02/13 01:36 PM, Pete Travis wrote:

> On Feb 8, 2013 12:54 PM, "Stephen John Smoogen" <smooge at gmail.com
> <mailto:smooge at gmail.com>> wrote:
> . Two the fix is to upgrade to a very new
>  > version which will break everyone who upgrades until they (or the
>  > first person who gets to the website :) ) runs the upgrade mode..
>  > which might not work due to either custom changes or the fact that it
>  > is a large upgrade change.
>
>  > --
>  > Stephen J Smoogen.
>
> I haven't poked at mediawiki in a while, so please correct me if I'm
> wrong, but isn't it fairly self contained? I recall copying the content
> from /usr/share/ to /var/www/ then localizing. Having a new version
> shouldn't break existing deployments unless they are served out of
> /usr/share/, and that doesn't seem sane. The update would then be
> available, not imposed.

I may be misunderstanding you, but I _think_ you've got the wrong end of
the stick here. Fedora webapps are indeed packaged to be served out of
/usr/share/whatever . They ship with /etc/httpd/conf.d config files
which point to the /usr/share location where they are installed. This is
all by policy and How It's Supposed To Be. Only files that absolutely
need to be actually inside /var/www for some reason or another are
supposed to be packaged there. In general, the idea is that webapp files
are just static data files like any others and belong in /usr/share .
See https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Web_Applications .

You can copy the whole thing to somewhere else (e.g. /var/www) and
nerf/adjust the conf.d file if you really want to use the Fedora package
only as a base for your own deployment, but that's not the 'normal way'.
In general you're expected to simply install the package and use it;
that way you get the benefit of packaged updates.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey