Should MariaDB touch my.cnf in %post?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 00:15:48 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 05:22:33PM -0500, Honza Horak wrote:

> Upstream chose the way of drop-in replacement, which means that the same
> API including file names was actually a feature. Why we don't do it
> differently in Fedora is obvious -- we don't want to differ from upstream.

Actually..... this is not "obvious".  If two packages conflict, it's not a
given that we will include both in Fedora and just let them conflict.

Many times we require that one or both packages be patched so that they do
not conflict.  This can cause significant deviation from upstream if
upstream is unwilling to rename.

In this case, I think that we fall into the following guideline:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Conflicts#Incompatible_Binary_Files_with_Conflicting_Naming_.28and_stubborn_upstreams.29

"as long as there are no clear cases for both packages to be installed
simultaneously, explicit Conflicts are permitted at the packager's
discretion."  So this is allowed, but many other cases of Conflicts (for
instance, the recent discussion of Apache OpenOffice vs Libreoffice) would
not.

-Toshio