Gnome-shell workspaces

Allan Day allanpday at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 12:52:39 UTC 2013

Trond Hasle Amundsen <t.h.amundsen at usit.uio.no> wrote:
> Christopher Meng <cickumqt at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Somewhat funny that many users even don't know this tweak tool and ask
>> everywhere about this......
>
> I always found it odd that gnome-tweak-tool even exists.. some
> functionality are found in the system settings, some in
> gnome-tweak-tool. If you ask me, gnome-tweak-tool should be part of the
> standard system settings. Call it "advanced shell options" or
> something. It would be easier for users to find, provide a more
> consistent GNOME experience, and ultimately happier users.

The point of having the Tweak Tool is to provide an enhanced
experience for those users who do want to tweak, while maintaining a
sane set of options for those people who don't have an interest in
customisation.

I would personally love to see the Tweak Tool grow to become more
comprehensive and interesting. There are no limits on what can be
included there. This freedom of expansion is something you would never
have with System Settings - there simply isn't space for everything
you would want to include.

I'd also like to see a Theme Tool or similar for those people who want
to play around with themes. Having dedicated applications for these
types of activities should allow a far better experience than lumping
everything into the control center. System Settings simply isn't a
good fit for this (the old GNOME 2 appearance settings were never
great; compare them with something like Windows Blinds [1] and you'll
see what having a dedicated application means in terms of quality of
experience).

Part of the issue here is that the Tweak Tool doesn't get a huge
amount of developer time, which means that the value of having a
separate tool hasn't been quite realised. If anyone wants to help with
this, just step up. It's a simple Python app, and the maintainer is
usually responsive.

Allan

[1] http://www.stardock.com/products/windowblinds/
--