Should MariaDB touch my.cnf in %post?

Honza Horak hhorak at redhat.com
Mon Feb 18 09:58:12 UTC 2013

On 02/16/2013 02:23 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 16.02.2013 01:29, schrieb Toshio Kuratomi:
>> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 02:05:48PM +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>>    * even MySQL 5.5 had a HIDDEN soname break on a minor update with the
>>>      need of rebuild depending packages and now people will explain me
>>>      that two different forks are binary compatible - this is very
>>>      thin ice and can break with ANY minor update
>>>
>> AFAICT, this is a different question.  IIUC, the plan is for clients to link
>> to the mariadb provided libraries.  The mysql package would not ship client
>> libraries.  So we're talking about protocol compatibility, not about library
>> SONAME/ABI compatibility
>
> and which fool has written the feature page without knowing what binary
> compatibility is or if he knows to get the Fesco OK by promise impossible
> things there?
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ReplaceMySQLwithMariaDB
> MariaDB is binary compatible with MySQL of the same major version, so we
> don't need to change anything in packages depending on libmysqlclient.so

It seems the words could have been chosen less absolutely (changed a
little bit at [1]), but in case you don't agree with the official
MariaDB statement, that "For all practical purposes, MariaDB is a binary
drop in replacement of the same MySQL version", "MySQL 5.5 will be
compatible with MariaDB 5.5" and "The shared client library is binary
compatible with MySQL's client library." [2] -- I'd like to see concrete
examples where this incompatibility is broken, so that we can document
it at least or better to fix it asap.

Honza

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ReplaceMySQLwithMariaDB#Scope
[2] https://kb.askmonty.org/en/mariadb-versus-mysql-compatibility/