Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Mon Feb 18 10:37:58 UTC 2013

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 02:14:30PM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Olav Vitters wrote:
> > 1. Show sessions before selecting/entering the user:
> >    Means basically including something like 'default session' or
> >    'previous session'
>
> That's how the rest of the world does it…
>
> > 2. Show sessions after selecting/entering the user:
> >    Means you can show the actual session that will be chosen.
> >
> > There are tradeoffs between both of them, GDM chose #2,
>
> … but of course GNOME just had to be different.

If you don't have anything constructive to add, then don't respond.

I mentioned the aim: what is usability wise best.

I mentioned that it might not be best, tradeoffs taken, and how to make
changes.

A one liner about:
"but of course GNOME just had to be different"

I just a bit easy. Try challenging what I said instead of a one liner.
Try maybe showing a usability story where the chosen solution is not
great. I mean, try something in the bits I said earlier.

Regarding "had to be different": I already explained that it was not
about "had to be different". Moreover, wtf is wrong with trying to go
for trying a better solution? Not like things are stuck forever, as I
already indicated.

I'm trying to collect feedback, I'd expect some respect instead of one
liners. Loads of people working in Fedora don't follow devel@ because of
the attitude displayed here. I often get questioned wtf I spend the time
to proceed anyway.

--
Regards,
Olav