Proposed F19 Feature: Apache OpenOffice

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 17:47:38 UTC 2013

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 04:55:55PM +0000, James Hogarth wrote:

> Since this has been approved I'm curious as to the method by which the
> non-conflict with LO is to be achieved...

I don't know the answer to this.  Hopefully Andrea is pondering it and
working with the libreoffice maintainers if he needs to coordinate any
changes with them. He could fill us in if he wants.

> I was browsing the AOO archives when I came upon Andrea's thread there about
> AOO in F19...
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/openoffice-dev/201301.mbox/
> %3C5109384E.60606%40apache.org%3E
>
> Going through it Andrea has kept a very level head with respect to wanting to
> work with Fedora to get the packages built and in but there is a lot of dispute
> surrounding the oowriter etc situation...

<nod>

+1 to Andrea.

> Please read the full thread for context but as an example:
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/openoffice-dev/201302.mbox/
> %3CCAP-ksojB20qDs5ORK_nHiRj142-KosAPioSHC5yxCSTj6OVH1w at mail.gmail.com%3E
>
> This made me think of the reminder that had to be given to Oracle about the
> Fedora principles and how friendship is a key one...

I don't know that this is an issue that Fedora needs to do anything about.
As Fedora has experienced internally many time, contributors to a project
can say anything they want as an individual but that doesn't mean the
project is heading in that direction.  Andrea, as our point of contact has
been great and to my knowledge we haven't received anything from Apache
Foundation Lawyers about use of trademarks so I don't think that this is
something to chide the AOO mailing list about.

> There's been little discussion of this since the earlier part of the month on
> either mailing list and and no commits to the LO git or bugzilla bugs I have
> been able to find about dealing with conflict and bringing this package in...
>
> So what's the plan in mind?

For the general plan, Andrea will need to weigh in.  Fedora Alpha change
deadline is: 2013-04-02 so we're creeping up on a milestone where we might
have to defer the Feature to F20.  This is a leaf package so it might be okay
to go in later but it does need 1) documenting in the release notes, so that
imposes a deadline so that the release notes can be written and translated.
2) testing that there are no non-trivial/non-obvious problems between the
libreoffice and aoo packaging so there is a deadline here.

> Is the existing orphaned openoffice.org package in Fedora going to have Andrea
> as a maintainer and then this new code committed?
>
> Is this considered to be a completely fresh new package to go through the usual
> new package guidelines (plus sponsorship for a new packager)?

For this specific question -- policy is that packages which are
retired/deprecated need to go through re-review to get back into the
dirtibution.  So it's pretty much equivalent to a fresh new package where
the packager would need sponsorship if they aren't already in the packager
group.

> Will Andrea be maintainer of the package or someone else in the AOO group?

Andrea will need to speak to this as well.

-Toshio