Should MariaDB touch my.cnf in %post?

Sergei Golubchik serg at mariadb.org
Tue Feb 19 05:01:53 UTC 2013

Hi, Andrew!

On Feb 18, Andrew Rist wrote:
> No, it's not crippleware - it's the world's most popular open source
> database software.

A world's most popular open source database software can be crippleware
too. Wikipedia defines crippleware as
"
  Deliberately limited programs are usually freeware versions of
  computer programs that lack the most advanced (or even crucial)
  features of the original program. Limited versions are made available
  in order to increase the popularity of the full program without giving
  it away free.  An example of crippleware is a word processor that
  cannot save or print.  However, crippleware programs can also
  differentiate between tiers of paying software customers.

  The term "crippleware" is sometimes used to describe software products
  whose functions have been limited (or "crippled") with the sole
  purpose of encouraging or requiring the user to pay for those
  functions (either by paying a one-time fee or an on-going subscription
  fee).
"

You can decide for yourself whether MySQL fits this definition or not.

> MySQL Community Edition is available under the GPL license and is
> supported by a huge and active community of open source developers
> [1].   Among the many recent improvements are some substantial
> performance improvements delivered in MySQL 5.6 [2].

A lot of new features - yes, undoubtely.
Performance improvements - questionable.
This link shows a very different picture:
http://blog.mariadb.org/sysbench-oltp-mysql-5-6-vs-mariadb-10-0/

> We're interested in user choice, and we want do what we can to help
> create the best possible user experience for those users that choose to
> use MySQL with Fedora.
> Andrew
>
> [1] http://www.mysql.com/products/community/
> [2] http://dimitrik.free.fr/blog/archives/2013/02/mysql-performance-mysql-56-vs-mysql-55-vs-mariadb-55.html