Submitting new package

Derek Pressnall derekp7 at needcaffeine.net
Tue Feb 19 21:16:02 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 3:01 PM, Paul Wouters <pwouters at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2013, Derek Pressnall wrote:
  Is this the proper list to ask?  Thanks.

> Yes it is!
>
> Paul

Cool.  First off, I'd like for someone to review my project in general
terms, while I'm working on the RPM, to validate that it would be a
positive contribution to Fedora.  My project, called Snebu (simple
network backup utility), is currently hosted on github (can get to it
via www.snebu.com, github page is github.com/derekp7/snebu).  The
target audience is sysadmins who are currently using rsync/snapshot
style backups, and need to go to the next level up without having to
maintain one of the heaver-weight tools such as Bacula or Amanda.

Second question:  When I create the package, I should include a
default configuration file.  One of the configuration options is the
location of your backup media (currently only disk-based targets are
supported).  This means specifying a mount point, such as
/var/backups.  Which directory would be an appropriate default for FHS
/ Fedora compliance?  I was thinking maybe /media/backup.

Finally, even though the main program binary is intended to be used
directly, it is easier to have a client script that sets several
default command line options.  This client script currently exists
only in the documentation (as it is a template that is intended to be
customized), but was thinking of either placing it under
/usr/share/pkgname-version/templates, or making an improved / general
purpose client script (config file driven, etc), and having it a
first-class component of the package.  If that is the case, even
though it would still be just a simple shell script, should I package
the client script as a separate package?  That way it can be installed
easily on a number of clients, and have the "server" component only
installed where your backup media is located.

Thanks.  Oh, btw, one of the items on my task list is to give the
documentation another rev, currently it is just a long readme file.

Thanks,
--Derek