Where are we going? (Not a rant)

Erwin Waterlander waterlan at xs4all.nl
Wed Jan 2 09:44:34 UTC 2013

Chris Smart schreef, Op 2-1-2013 8:53:
> On 12/07/2012 11:53 PM, Tomas Radej wrote:
>> One of the results was a conversation I had with a few guys to
>> whom I recommended Fedora as a development environment. It showed me
>> that there's indeed something wrong. While they all said that Fedora's
>> features were brilliant, they unanimously rejected Fedora as a
>> primary system. The reason they gave me was, now quoting: It doesn't
>> really work.
> I know this is an old thread, but I'm curious as to what didn't "really
> work" for them.
>
> Was it instability? Lack of media support? Non-free software like nvidia
> drivers or flash? Devices not working, lack of proprietary firmware?
> Problems/complications with the installer?
>
> The one thing that I personally think is missing is excellent upgrade
> support between releases via the package manager (and I know that
> Richard has been working on this with packagekit). This might make
> Fedora more attractive.
>
> I'm also surprised to read of lots of people saying Fedora is not
> reliable as I have rarely had any problems, certainly less than I recall
> having on Ubuntu.
>
> -c

For me it's the nvidia driver. With my gf220 card it makes upgrading a
hell. Installing nvidia's non-free driver fixes the problem, and after
that everything is fine.
You have been lucky with your hardware. A lot of people run (the latest)
Fedora in a VM, which doesn't help for testing hardware support.

regards,

--
Erwin Waterlander
http://waterlan.home.xs4all.nl/