Proposed F19 Feature: DualstackNetworking - proper dual stack IPv4 and IPv6 networking

John Reiser jreiser at bitwagon.com
Thu Jan 3 03:57:11 UTC 2013

On 01/02/2013 05:20 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 03.01.2013 02:08, schrieb John Reiser:

>> I'd like to use ipv6 for my computers,
>> but my ipv4-only consumer devices (TV, Roku, HVAC, etc.)
>> and ipv4-because-ipv6-is-buggy devices (mythtv)
>> must continue to inter-operate to/from/with Fedora

> that is what "Dualstack" means

Good.  The point is that ipv4 consumer devices explicitly
are part of the deal, and cannot be ignored.  Such devices
tend to persist for several generations, and many cannot
be upgraded.  They don't use Fedora shared libraries.
Luckily most of them require only dhcp4 and http-over-tcp+ipv4,
but their actual implementations which work today in Fedora
must continue to work without change for many releases.
For instance, dual stacking must not change the latencies
of dhcp4.