Fedora 18 issues with translations and keymaps

Vít Ondruch vondruch at redhat.com
Thu Jan 3 10:51:52 UTC 2013

Dne 3.1.2013 11:34, Adam Williamson napsal(a):
> On Thu, 2013-01-03 at 11:31 +0100, Vít Ondruch wrote:
>>> Oh, yeah, that's another issue I didn't call out - setting a keymap
>>> within anaconda doesn't necessarily set it on the console. (Though did
>>> that work in F17?) And apparently the console layout you get when
>>> picking Czech is a bad one, that needs its own bug.
>> Considering you cannot easily switch input method in Gnome 3.6 [1] and
>> that is not going to change in 3.6, I consider every other keyboard
>> layout issue as insignificant and F18 should be released as it is now,
>> because it will not be better.
> That's really overplaying the issue.

Just a bit :)

>   You can configure a perfectly
> reasonable shortcut in gnome-tweak-tool. And that issue is pretty
> orthogonal to many of the ones I listed.

So I'll try to put it differently.

I installed F18 Beta TC7 and since that time I am using it for my daily
work. I selected Czech localization with Czech layout as my primary one
during installation and English as a secondary. I did not noticed any
issue with layout except that Gnome thing which is the most annoying
issue I could discover (and would love to see it fixed, but it
realistically, it will not be).

Comparing to F17, when I did the same steps, the only difference is that
Plymouth is using Czech layout when asking for LUKS password while it
used English in F17. This could be probably considered improvement
considering that Czech layout have been always my primary layout.

If there is any other issue, I was not personally affected by it and
therefore I'd love to see F18 released as it is now, possible issues
documented and fixed in F19

Vít