Rationalizing X and console keymaps and configuration (was Re: Fedora 18 issues with translations and keymaps)

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Thu Jan 3 17:53:08 UTC 2013

On Thu, 03.01.13 09:38, Adam Williamson (awilliam at redhat.com) wrote:

> If we have such a tool, can we make the whole area of keymap
> configuration much less insane? Right now we appear to have at least the
> following:

Well, we still will allow configuration of per-boot, per-system and
per-user keymaps, but at least only one for each (i.e. only X11), not
two (i.e. X11+console).

> systemd tries to keep /etc/vconsole.conf and the X config in line, but
> there's lots of room for things to go wonky there. And I don't think
> that GNOME's config tool, at least, has any mechanism to propagate its
> configuration 'down the stack' like it does for other settings.

We'd drop the console keymap specific bits in /etc/vconsole.conf. It
would stick around only for the font setting after that.

> It seems like ideally we should just have two configurations:
>
> * system-wide default keymap
> * user-specific current keymap

Well, certainly, but I think ther is benefit in allowing this to be
overriden at boot on the kernel command line.

ennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.