GRUB menu hidden by default?

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri Jan 4 21:38:42 UTC 2013

On Jan 4, 2013, at 2:17 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 04.01.2013 22:07, schrieb Chris Murphy:
>>
>> On Jan 4, 2013, at 1:16 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>>

>>> unbelieveable how many time and code was spent in the last
>>> years to make a shiny boot hide anything from the users
>>> because they could look and learn what their systems does
>>
>> Right. Crazy that hoods and nacelles were ever invented. Everyone should want to drive something like this to the grocery store.
>> http://tinyurl.com/a3x7p5y
>
> laughable comparisation

I think your complaint, and its continuation, I mean of all things to complain about honestly, is significantly more hilarious. So you win. I guess it's Friday, Take out the Trash Day.

> the few seconds a machine boots it has to show what it does
> it would even make solve problems easier because if it hangs
> you have a chance to see how far boot gone,

Linux is this fragile I must monitor its every move like this?

> the typical user
> does not know how to disable the fancy stuff, does mostly not
> know that he can boot with the previous kernel and if things are
> going wrong he even can not go to all your helpful wikis and boards
> because if his machine would boot he has no problems

Typical OS user is not so much of a tinkerer. Just like with driving cars.

> additionally you see problably failing-services and problems
> at bot and do yourself a favour try to fix them before they
> are growing

My god man! It's a disaster waiting to happen! Everybody panic!

I'm vaguely unclear on how the OS sneezing text in the face of a typical user is going to help them. See? Always another viewpoint.

> but hey, why should we provide default installs wheir users
> are learning things about their systems - other OSes does
> also hide anything so we too

Hey, maybe you just really believe in all this crazy quantum physics stuff and you don't want your cat to be both dead and alive at the same time.

Chris Murphy