Fedora 18 laptop regression

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Mon Jan 7 18:22:39 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> On Sat, 05.01.13 22:54, alex399 at hushmail.com (alex399 at hushmail.com)
> wrote:

> GNOME on F18 takes the lock and handles the lid switch on its own.
> You
> can verify that with "systemd-inhibit --list".
>
> > <OT>
> > There is almost nothing you can configure with GUI in GNOME and
> > gsettings isn't even adequate anymore.
> > </OT>
>
> gnome-tweak-tool allows you to configure  what happens when you close
> the lid.

Quite a bit of misinformation in this discussion. Let me clarify what GNOME 3.6 actually does:

- We take inhibitors to block logind from handling power/suspend/etc keys, since gnome-settings-daemon handles those

- We don't take a lid close ihibitor by default, we let logind handle it. Unless there is an external monitor, in which case we do take an inihbitor. You can override that with the lid-close-suspend-with-external-monitor setting that is available in gnome-tweak-tool

- We do take delay inhibitors to ensure we can lock the screen before suspend