Feedback wanted: Fedora Formulas

John.Florian at dart.biz John.Florian at dart.biz
Tue Jan 8 20:36:28 UTC 2013

> From: Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com>
>
> Greetings.
>
> I've whipped up the early ideas of a way to replace (most) spins with
> something that is more generic and useful. I have signed up for a
> fudcon session to brainstorm on this idea and see if it can be beaten
> into a plan/schedule/feature, or if it's not going to work for whatever
> reason.
>
> I have a very brainstormy/draft wiki page outlining the idea at:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_formulas
>
> The short version:
>
> Setup a infrastructure/framework around a collection of ansible
> playbooks to allow our users to simply download a formula for what they
> want to do and have a curated setup made for them using Fedora
> packages.
>
> Want a electionics lab setup? download. review. answer some
> questions. click.
> Want a LAMP stack? download. review. answer some questions. click.
> Want a openstack demo cluster? ditto.
> Want a graphics designer workstation? ditto.
>
> Note that this assumes you have already installed Fedora, it's a post
> install setup. This would mean that we should continue to do spins for
> various desktops as people may way to install their desktop as a base
> before adding on formulas.
>
> Of course there's tons of details/questions to work out (many listed on
> the wiki page, but I'm sure there are more details too).
>
> So, what do folks think? Workable? Crazy? Crazy enough to work?
> :)
>
> kevin

Doh!  I wish I was going to fudcon. I've yet to get to one and this would
be right up my alley.  I'm doing something similar with puppet now where I
boot a custom Live Fedora spin with stateless Linux features enabled and
puppet makes each node conform to some predetermined role.  I've been
wanting to get some time with ansible because puppet really isn't working
very well for this.  My situation differs mostly in that I use this
approach to maintain hundreds (working towards thousands) of
appliance-like nodes.  Still, there is much in common once you go beyond
just managing packages, but also their run-time state.  Do you aim to go
that far, or stop just shy of that?

I don't think the concept is crazy at all -- I think it's terrific, but I
also have no idea how attached the current spin maintainers are to their
established methods.
--
John Florian