Proposed F19 Feature: Package Signature Checking During Installation

Florian Weimer fweimer at redhat.com
Wed Jan 9 14:39:42 UTC 2013

On 01/09/2013 03:26 PM, Peter Jones wrote:

> You've misunderstood the mechanism at work.  dhowell's current kernel
> patch set allows you to add keys which are wrapped (in a well defined
> way) in a pecoff binary that's signed by already trusted keys.  This is
> what I'm referring to above when I say "get your keys signed by ...".

Oh dear, what a horrible kludge.  But I admit that it might work,
assuming that Microsoft signs that nonsensical (from their perspective)
key-wrapping binary.

>> I don't think relying on Secure Boot is the best way to secure the
>> installation path.  Theoretically, it is feasible, but it will
>> always be brittle.
>
> Citation needed.

See my direct follow-up to Jaroslav's initial message.

>> Those who cannot use Secure Boot (because they
>> lack the hardware or rely on kernel features disabled by Secure
>> Boot) should have access to a secure installation path, too.
>
> I'd be perfectly happy if you found another mechanism to gain a
> verifiable root of trust we can use and submit that as your own feature
> to implement.  As you've not taken the first 13 years of opportunity to
> do so, I'm going to move along with my solution until I hear legitimate
> reasons it won't work.

I certainly welcome these efforts.  At least one part of it (teaching
anaconda to verify (downloaded) packages against included key material)
will be required by any other solution.